Since 9/11, Americans across the political spectrum have been asking, “Who are the authentic moderates of Islam, and where are they?” And, “Who speaks for American Muslims?” Talk show hosts, journalists, lawmakers, interfaith authorities and thought leaders have asked: Where are moderate Muslims to join the debate on social, civic, religious and political issues, including racism and violent extremism?
Their spokesman is Dr. Mike Mohamed Ghouse, who recently has moved to Washington, D.C.
Dr. Ghouse is a proud, unapologetic Moderate Muslim and a passionate advocate of Pluralism in religion, society, politics, race, dining, clothing, dancing, sports and every aspect of life. He is a public speaker, thinker, writer and a commentator who is considered an authority on Pluralism and Interfaith relations in America, and he offers pluralistic solutions on issues of the day.
Who is a Moderate Muslim? Some one who lives his life and let others live theirs, and some one who minds his own business. He or she will not look down upon other people's faiths, traditions and practices, but considers them to be as unique as his or her own, but never inferior. In every group; religious, social, national, political or racial, there is always the right and extreme right who is intolerant and wants to impose his or her ideals on others. The left and extreme left on the other hand has no boundaries. Moderates are usually 90% of any group, but they do not engage in anything and mind their own business and take up when things when they really get out of hand. The new breed of Moderates like Dr. Ghouse are full of passion to save the nation and the communities for the common good of all Americans.
Dr. Ghouse also served as a Commissioner at City of Carrollton, Texas for two terms.
He has contributed significantly to the richness of America, and his gift to America would be the gift of Pluralism, an old attitude emerging as a new discipline that he intends to teach and promote through workshops. Dr. Ghouse hopes to train America’s candidates for higher office regarding what the founding fathers meant when they declared that “all humans are equal.”
Dedicated Both to Islam and to ‘the Other’
Dr. Ghouse defines “moderate Muslim” as someone who respects the otherness of others and accepts the God-given uniqueness of each person in God’s creation. He has published more than 1000 articles on diverse aspects of Islam and maintains a blog on Quran, Sharia, Blasphemy, Apostasy, Hijab, Reforms, Ramadan, Women’s issues and community relations. He is driven by the pluralistic wisdom in Quran, and his mission is authenticated by many a verse from Quran, including 49:13, which generally means because each one of us is created to be an unique individual, we are bound to have conflicts between family members, nations, religions and communities, and it is because we don’t know each other and when we start to genuinely learn about the other, myths disappear into thin air and peace dawns on us.” There is a full video of his talk on Pluralism in Islam.
TV and Radio: Dr. Ghouse has appeared in more than 150 TV shows, including 102 with Sean Hannity alone. He has served as subject expert hundreds of times on nationally syndicated radio. Many listeners have heard his informed opinions at the time of the Quran Burning issue in Mulberry, Florida, and the period of Quran Bashing in Dallas Texas. He notably defended the 9/11 Mosque in Lower Manhattan, and he has blogged on the Peter King investigations and other issues. He is in the forefront of dealing with issues and offering pluralistic solutions.
On the day of 9/11, he was on Radio all day, taking calls from Mayors, religious and community leaders across the City to bring coherence to the chaos created on that day, and ever since, he has dedicated that day every year to serve and unite Americans for a strong America.
Politics: A political independent, Dr. Ghouse says that he votes for the candidates who put America first, whether he or she is a Republican or Democrat. He refuses to compromise his loyalty to America with loyalty to a political party. He maintains a blog on Politics and has written more than 300 columns on politics in America. He has written about Presidents Bush and Obama, and presidential candidates Clinton, McCain, Romney, Gingrich, Cain, Perry, Christie, Bush, Trump and Carson.
Foreign policy: Dr. Ghouse has always taken a moderate approach toward foreign policy issues and offered pluralistic solutions on issues of the day, including but not limited to Israel, Palestine, Iran, Afghanistan, India, Egypt, Malaysia, Indonesia and other nations.
Human rights: Dr Ghouse has stood up for the rights of every human regardless of his or her affiliation and has been writing a forthcoming book titled, Standing Up for Others, Standing up for the rights of all; from Atheists to Zoroastrians and every one in between including Native Americans, and the LGBT community. This book will be dedicated to Sean Hannity, Rev. Sun Myung Moon, and Harbans Lal (his first boss) with a special note.
Film: Sacred is a full feature film, and it is about changing perceptions about Muslims and Muslims adopting the non-violent principles enshrined in the teachings of Jesus Christ, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and Mahatma Gandhi.
Documentary: Dr. Ghouse’s documentary film in progress is premised on America’s promise that all humans are created equal. He believes that we have seen a tremendous progress since independence, but we have a lot more to do. A rough draft of the film is in a video clip at www.AmericaTogetherFoundation.com
Phyllis Curott: Vice Chair, Parliament of Worlds Religions," Mike Ghouse has the courage of his convictions - he carries a spark of inspiration that can only be called Divine. It illuminates the world around him, enabling him to see clearly the beauty and grace that resides in every sacred path and in each person who walks that path.”
Religion News Service: " (RNS) A Florida pastor plans to burn a pile of Qurans on the 9/11 anniversary, and interfaith activist Mike Ghouse says, “It is not what (the pastor) will do, it is what we do as Americans and American Muslims that matters.”
Phillip M Ramsaroop: "I first met Dr. Ghouse in the mid-nineties as Past President and a member of the Board of the Dallas Fort Worth Hindu Temple and as a member of the Chapel Committee of Thanksgiving Square in Dallas, Texas. I was pleasantly surprised, though a Muslim, he participated and volunteered his time and resources on the Hindu Temple’s projects and activities. I later discovered that he did the same for other religious and cultural communities"
Saudi Gazette: "Thank you for your commitment towards a peaceful solution, Mike. It is the media who should thank you for your commendable cause."
Links to the writings of Dr. Mike Mohamed Ghouse
- The site www.MikeGhouse.net gives 63 links to most of Mike's work
- Muslim Speaker http://mikeghouse.net/MuslimSpeaker.MikeGhouse.asp
- Pluralism in Islam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Tyt7raIXM
- Quran is not for Muslims - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ghouse/quran-is-not-for-muslims_b_6174940.html
- Pluralism/ Interfaith Speaker http://www.mikeghouse.net/InterfaithSpeaker_MikeGhouse.asp
- Criticism of Prophet: http://worldmuslimcongress.blogspot.com/2012/11/criticism-of-islam-prophet-muhammad.html
- My 9/11 Story - http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2014/09/911-my-personal-journey-from-2001.html
- Speaker on Israel-Palestine - http://israel-palestine-dialogue.blogspot.com/2014/12/speaker-on-israel-mike-ghouse.html
- Speaker on India - http://mikeghouseforindia.blogspot.com/2012/12/mike-ghouse-indian-american-pluralist.html
- Sharia: http://sharialaws.blogspot.com/2013/02/genesis-of-sharia-law.html
- Fixing Sharia Law: http://sharialaws.blogspot.com/2014/01/fixing-sharia-laws.html
- Apostasy: http://www.opednews.com/articles/Fixing-Sharia-Laws-by-Mike-Ghouse-Apostasy_Blasphemy_DNA-Rape-Kit_Divorce-140115-276.html
- Blasphemy: http://blasphemylaws.blogspot.com/2012/04/blasphemy-laws-go-against-islam.html
- Free Speech: http://worldmuslimcongress.blogspot.com/2014/11/let-bill-maher-speak-islam-supports.html
- Tribute to my Father: http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2011/06/happy-fathers-day-tribute-to-my.html
- Tribute to my Mother: http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2011/05/mother-my-story-happy-mothers-day.html
- Pope Francis - http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2015/09/pope-francis-is-my-imam-that-is-my.html
- Prophet Muhammad: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ghouse/how-i-connect-with-prophet-muhammad_b_2547782.html
- Tribute to Dadski - http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2013/04/in-memory-of-dadski-everett-blauvelt.html
- America wins with the new Muslim Group in Washington, D.C., http://americanmusliminstitution.blogspot.com/2015/09/america-wins-with-new-muslim-group-in.html
- Holocaust and Muslim Guy - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ghouse/holocaust-and-the-muslim-_b_4629509.html#es_share_ended
- My Name is Mike Ghouse: http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-name-is-mike-ghouse.html
- Fatwas: http://worldmuslimcongress.blogspot.com/2015/05/shia-sunni-takfiris-not-acceptable.htm
- Intra-faith Dialogue - http://worldmuslimcongress.blogspot.com/2013/02/muslim-intra-faith-dialogue-in-houston.html
- Standing up for others – www.StandingupforOthers.com
- New Age Islam published this piece at: http://www.newageislam.com/islamic-personalities/new-age-islam-edit-bureau/dr-mike-mohamed-ghouse-dedicated-both-to-islam-and-to-%E2%80%98the-other%E2%80%99/d/104858
- A majority of Mike's articles are at www.TheGhouseDiary.com and at WorldMuslimCongress.com, Quraantoday.com, ShariaLaws.com, Foundationforpluralism.blogspot.com, IsraelPalestineDialogue.com, MikeGhouseforIndia.blogspot.com and other sites.