HOME
: | SPECIAL NOTE : Please feel free to share and publish any of my articles, and kindly credit the author, thank you.

PROFILES - Google-12 Million | Personal | Interfaith Speaker : OldNew | Muslim Speaker : OldNew | Motivational Speaker | CV

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The story of Desi Americans in Dallas/ Fort Worth

Here is little story about the Desi* people of  Dallas/ Forth Worth.

DesiPlaza in Dallas is doing a series of interviews of people around the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex and I was pleased to be one of them, here it is in 2 segments, each one is about 9 minutes, if you have the time, please share your comments, the whole interview was done in one single shot and as a result I was striving to talk, I was thirsty.

I thank Dr. Krishna Puttaparthi for hosting this series at www.desiplaza.us. If you speak or understand Telugu, there are a few good interviews in Telugu as well.

I had done a whole series of interviews on my Radio show in 1996 where we had invited the earliest of Indians, Pakistanis and Caribbean Indians as well as Bangladeshis. I have been a part of the Nepalese and Sri Lankan communities as well.

It was followed by religions; Hindus (Pallana [1946], Dr. Prabhakar [1963], Mr. Sharma), Muslims (a couple came from Pakistan in 1952, Dr. Bukhari [1963] Dr. Khan [63], Dr. Afzal [65]), Christians, Sikhs (Late Ike Sekhon [1956]), Jews [1932] I have not seen him in five years), Zoroastrians and Jains (Dr. Kapadia[63], Dilip Travel King).

I am also blessed to be listed in Texas Indians History written by a researcher from UT Austin.  I have not listed all the names of the people who have been in Dallas/ Fort Worth as I am going blank and my apologies to them, and I have met them all. I am writing from my memories without going to my archives. Some day, I would like to write the history of Dallas... I do have over 5000 pictures of the Dallas community, if I croak; it will be in a box that ya'll can get from Yasmeen my wife or my kids Jeff and Mina.

Shabnam Modgil and I go back to 1993 or earlier, she is another person who can identify a lot of people in the community. Lately, my presence is diminishing as I am looking to serve every American in building a cohesive America.  You can see all of my work listed at my site.

Segement 1

Segment 2

Thank you.

Mike Ghouse


*Desi - prounounced as "They-See" meaning the people of Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the Diaspora.

---
Mike Ghouse is a frequent guest at the TV, radio and print media offering pluralistic solutions to issues of the day. He is a thinker, writer, speaker, optimist and an activist of Pluralism, Interfaith, Co-existence, Peace, Islam and India. He His work is reflected at three websites and 22 Blogs at http://www.mikeghouse.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment