HOME
: | SPECIAL NOTE : Please feel free to share and publish any of my articles, and kindly credit the author, thank you.

PROFILES - Google-12 Million | Personal | Interfaith Speaker : OldNew | Muslim Speaker : OldNew | Motivational Speaker | CV

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Appreciating the Blue

When we get the traffic ticket we do make snide remarks about the police, it is time to appreciate them.
Over the thanksgiving weekend, I witnessed stranded and swerved cars in the ditches on the freeways and the cops were out there in rain and cold to help them out. I actually pulled over and thank them for the doing their duty so well. He asked me if I was a politician, I said NO,  he asked if I was a preacher, I said NO, then he asked what the hell was I? I said, just an American driving on the road and appreciating America and the men and women in Blue. He said thank you Son. Next time you see a police officer, let them know that you appreciate them.

http://theghousediary.blogspot.com/2010/11/appreciating-blue.html
# # #
I have been a reader of Popular Science for a very long time and enjoyed the monkey inventions - i.e. one invention is designed to undermine the other and vice versa. The battle with speeding of radar detectors for speeders and the upgrade equipment for police continues.  I have been driving an average of 75 MPH on Freeways, but rarely do exceed 80 - and I average 2000 Miles of freeway driving a month.

Every one behind the wheel is responsible for the safety of self and others on the road. Many a times, it is not us it the other driver. However, our responsibility does not dim even if the fault is entirely of the other person when we are in it. I have learned from my two totals that I have to keep a safe distance between me and the vehicle ahead and behind me, I must be able to slam on the brakes and stop without hitting or getting hit. I have to factor in the quality of my tires, rain, and the first rain on the road and the water flow on the road… to be able to stop and not hydroplane.

I have found less and less people driving while intoxicated, it is indeed good news and I hope some day no one will drink and drive. At speeds of over 80 MPH, one swerve and one shut of an eye and you are gone.

When I feel sleepy – I do not drive, it is not safe, instead I pull over and take a nap and I have learned to take the seven minutes naps – essentially play two of my favorite songs and I am up at the 3rd one.  It is amazing the energy that you can restore by a nap.

This thanksgiving day the death rates on road accidents have come down, I was googling for Texas, Tennessee, Kentucky and Indiana - stats are not out yet, but the DOT predicts lesser deaths. Nearly third of the deaths are due to drugs (what a surprise) and the other third are drunkenness.

My driving stretch is about 850 Miles – Dallas to Louisville, Kentucky. Thanks to Yasmeen for guiding me to lower my cholesterol level by a combination of food and exercise.  I got out and walked about a Mile in each one of the three rest stops on my way back. It takes about 14 hours on an average with stops and all. Between 75 MPH and 70 MPH, I will save an hour in driving, what will I do with that hour? Catch the flight to Mars?


The cops were all over - especially in Tennessee, it appears that the entire police force is on Interstate 40 between Memphis and Nashville, and in Texas, you will find them within 40 miles of the border on Interstate 30.

When we get the traffic ticket we do make snide remarks about the police, it is time to appreciate them. Over the thanksgiving weekend, I witnessed stranded and swerved cars in the ditches on the freeways and the cops were out there in rain and cold to help them out. It was on interstate 40 between Nashville and Memphis, there must have been at least half a dozen cars off the road.

I actually pulled over and thank them for the doing their duty so well. He asked me if I was a politician, I said NO,  he asked if I was a preacher, I said NO, then he asked what the hell was I? I said, just an American driving on the road and appreciating America and the men and women in Blue. He said thank you Son. Next time you see a police officer, let them know that you appreciate them.

My first experience with cops was in 1978 when I got out of the subway in New York and a bunch of bad guys chased me calling me an Iranian (Timing!) and I ran and the only thing I knew was to go to the cop, the guys stood there. I asked the police officer to help me get out of that area; he walked me to the next subway and waited until the sub left.  Since, then I have a high regard for cops. Thanks to my daughter, she wants to be one. Next time you see a police officers, let them know that you appreciate them.

Mike Ghouse runs the Foundation for Pluralism championing the idea of co-existence through respecting and accepting the otherness of other and has dedicated his life to nurturing the pluralistic ideals embedded in Islam through the World Muslim Congress. He is a regular commentator on the TV, Radio and Print media offering pluralistic solutions to the issues of the day. He is a speaker, thinker, writer and a peace activist. Mike's work is reflected at three websites & twenty two Blogs listed at http://www.mikeghouse.net/

 # # #

No comments:

Post a Comment